OCTOBER 17, 2018
"As we work together to shape the future of our Y and how we serve our community, I am very pleased to announce the new roles for these dynamic leaders." Check out the new staff promotions and changes coming to the Ruby C. Hunt YMCA...read more HERE.
JUNE 20, 2018
CEO, Cameron Corder, recently hosted his annual "WOMEN OF THE YMCA" luncheon. Check out some of the photos from this event recognizing the many female leaders we have in our community.
View Photos Here
MAY 11, 2018
Murphrey and Bonner awarded YMCA Servant Leadership Award
At the recent YMCA Prayer Breakfast, former Kings Mountain Mayor, Rick Murphrey, and retiring Gardner Webb University President, Dr. Frank Bonner, were awarded the YMCA Servant Leadership Award.
Murphrey served on the Kings Mountain City Council from 1993-1999. He was elected in 1999 as Mayor and served until 2015.
After a 20 plus year career as a public servant, Murphrey remains a tireless advocate for Kings Mountain and Cleveland County.
(Pictured L-R, Bob McRae, Y Board Member, Murphrey and YMCA CEO, Cameron Corder)
Earlier this year, Frank Bonner announced that he would be retiring from Gardner-Webb University in 2018. This ends a prestigious 44-year career in higher education, 31 at GWU.
While at Gardner-Webb, Bonner remained active in civic affairs. He is a past chair of the Cleveland County Chamber, past president of Shelby Rotary, and a former board member for the Cleveland County YMCA and Communities in Schools.
(Pictured L-R, Bill Plowden, Past YMCA Board Chair and Bonner)
View the APRIL 2018 CEO LETTER here.
View the FEBRUARY 2018 CEO LETTER here.
View the JANUARY 2018 CEO LETTER here.
A RECENT INTERVIEW WITH AN OLD FRIEND.
The Y is very proud of so many of the young members who grew up in Cleveland County. Often they move away and have a special impact on their community. I always enjoy staying in contact and hearing about their adult lives. I hope you will enjoy a recent interview I had with Jonathan Brice who now lives in NY.
1. Tell us your title, Company, and Location
I’m an Attorney – An Associate, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, New York
2. The elevator just closed and you’ve got 30 seconds to tell us what you REALLY do for a living…
I represent large international entities in a range of corporate and financial transactions including mergers and acquisitions.
3. What’s the reason you do you what you do?
I find it interesting, challenging and highly transferable to other parts of my life
4. If you’ve ever been to a professional baseball game, you know batters from the home team get to pick their own theme music as they walk from the dugout to the plate. What music would you want playing as you walk into work?
"Taking Care of Business"
5. List your three favorite books?
The Grapes of Wrath;
Wind Sands and Stars;
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
6. List three of your favorite movies?
the Bourne film series;
the 007 film series
(I know the last two are cheats, but it’s really hard to pick two others after Casablanca and I always watch the Bourne and 007 movies when they come out)
7. You have always practiced an active and healthy lifestyle. Why was that important to you in high school and what shaped that personal philosophy?
In high school, I did it in order to play sports so that I could fit in. Since then, it's been an avenue through which I find balance. Working a hectic schedule, it’s always great to be able to get away on a quick bike ride or to the gym.
8. The Y has a Black Achievers program which helps develop and build confidence and self-esteem. What advice would you give the African American teens in Cleveland County?
Listen and follow the good adult role models in your life, and if you don't have any, find one (through programs like black achievers).
9. If you lived in Cleveland County, what would be your hopes and dreams for the YMCA?
That it would continue to grow and flourish among young people. When I was growing up in KM, I always found the Y and the library to be two fantastic resources that were underutilized by kids/young adults.
10. Who has had the biggest influence on your career?
11. What do you miss most about North Carolina?
To follow Cam's "ramblings about faith, life, work, family, and friends," visit his blog HERE.
See a list of current Donors to the We Build People Campaign.